People, it’s 2017, and that means it’s okay for men to take care of themselves using more than a bar of Zest, a can of Barbasol and a bottle of Old Spice. These days, there are dozens of high-quality men’s products, from bronzers and face masks to anti-puffiness eye rollers and beard tonics. You’ll find them at salons for men and kiosks in department stores. Or, for the shy shopper, there’s always online.
And ladies, though these products look, feel and smell so nice that you might be tempted to snag a squirt for yourself, they are designed for men’s needs, not yours. “Men’s skin is 20 percent oilier and 15 percent thicker than women’s skin,” says Michele Probst, the president and founder of prestigious men’s grooming brand Mënaji Worldwide. “And because men shave, their pores are often larger.”
Here are some of my favorites:
You may be a soap-and-water guy, but your skin could benefit from some proper care. Soap can dry out the face, and many leave residues that clog the pores. Adopting a good treatment regimen for your face can help prevent premature aging and keep your skin looking fresh and clear of breakouts. Motivated now?
1. Paula’s Choice PC4Men Face Wash ($16) at PaulasChoice.com
This gel cleanser is fragrance-free, soothing and clinically proven to be non-irritating. It’s thorough enough for oilier skins or post-workout use, and it won’t leave dry skin feeling tight or dehydrated.
2. Baxter of California Clarifying Clay Mask ($20) at Bloomingdale’s
Packed with bentonite and kaolin clays, this mask can be used one to two times per week to cleanse clogged pores. It’s enriched with avocado oil and aloe vera, so it’s also a soothing and nourishing treatment. Use it the morning of a big meeting, and your skin will look fantastic.
3. Lab Series Age Rescue + Water-Charged Gel Cream ($39) at Walmart
This hydrating face gel goes on ultralight and absorbs quickly. It has a refreshing, cooling feel and a subtle, invigorating smell. Use it day or night.
4. Turo Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 ($30) at TuroSkin.com
If you spend time outdoors in the sun (regardless of the season), get in the habit of applying sunscreen every day. This lotion is lightweight, and unlike many sunscreens, it does not leave your skin feeling sticky. It includes hydrating ingredients like Antileukine 6 and Lanablue, a retinoid that can help minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
5. Boots No7 Men Rapid Revival Eye Roll-On ($16.99) at Skinstore.com
And those eyes … those puffy, tired-looking eyes! If you didn’t get enough rest last night, or you’ve been traveling, mornings are not your friend. Thankfully, this eye roller, which contains panthenol and biotin, soothes and nourishes the eye area, which helps reduce puffiness and dark circles.
If shaving irritates your skin, try some of these products. You’ll be surprised at how happy your skin can be!
1. J. Paul Skincare Scrub Preshave ($28) at J. Paul Skincare.com
Tough, unruly facial hair makes shaving a challenge. This pre-shave scrub couples silicon dioxide spheres with jojoba oil beads to remove dirt and excess skin while helping to lift the hairs and moisturize the skin prior to shaving. It rinses clean, so it will not clog your razor.
2. Skin Authority Age Defying Shave Serum ($32) at SkinAuthority.com
This standout product will replace your dusty old shaving cream can for good. The serum is thin and slippery, allowing for a comfortable shave without all of that excess foam. It is also packed with essential oils to cool and soothe the skin and anti-aging ingredients to nourish and firm.
3. The Gnarly Whale Pirate Bay Beard Tonic ($19) at The Gnarly Whale
If you’re sporting any sort of facial hair, it’s important to treat the hair and the skin underneath. This fragrant tonic, which contains sunflower oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil and grapefruit seed extract, will keep the hair and the skin moist and nourished. Bonus: The tonic is handmade and vegan.
4. Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm ($5.59) at Target
Don’t let the word “balm” fool you. This soothing post-shave treatment is extremely fast-absorbing and lightweight, so it’s beneficial even for oilier skin types. It calms irritated skin and redness with chamomile and vitamin E, and it has an appropriately manly scent.
Instead of using that same old bar of soap, treat your skin to something a little more elevated, such as a refreshing, hydrating body wash. Also be sure to get into the habit of moisturizing your skin post-shower. Your skin—and your partner—will thank you for it.
1. Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Body Wash ($7.99) at Walgreen’s
The scents of citrus and fir oil refresh, while coconut and sunflower oils cleanse thoroughly without drying your skin.
2. Archipelago Boticario de Havana Bar Soap ($14.25) at Amazon.com
If you can’t quit the bar, at least go for one that’s multifunctional! This fragrant vegetable-based soap will invigorate your senses, cleanse without stripping, exfoliate and minimize puffiness and redness. Now, that’s more like it!
3. SheaMoisture Groom & Shave Three Butters Lotion ($5.60) at Walmart
C’mon, you have to know that ashy skin on your body doesn’t look so alluring—and it isn’t pleasant to touch, either. Turn over a new leaf with this rich but fast-absorbing lotion that is enriched with shea, mango and avocado butters. Your skin will feel, look and smell amazing!
4. Baxter of California Hydro Salve Hand Cream ($16) at Bloomingdale’s
If you do any sort of physical work, your hands could be paying the price. Help soften up those puppies with this vitamin-rich, subtly scented balm. It feels thick going on but absorbs without a greasy residue. It’s excellent for those feet and toes, too.
And last but not least, makeup. You probably never imagined applying makeup of any kind. But if women can hide dark circles, diminish shine and give their skin a healthy glow, why can’t men? And thanks to the excellent design and quality of this next series of products, no one will know why you look so good, only that you just do.
1. Anthony Instant Fix Oil Control ($29) at Sephora
If your shiny nose, forehead or shaved head are driving you crazy, apply a drop of this mattifier after your regular moisturizer. It will absorb excess oil and control shine during the day, so you can stop patting yourself down.
2. Clinique for Men Face Bronzer ($28.98) at Amazon.com
Feeling a bit pale? Just a dab of this liquid bronzer will add some color to your face. You’ll look mysteriously rested—or as if you took a quick weekend trip to the Bahamas.
3. Mënaji HDPV Sunless Tan Kit ($21-$50) at Menaji.com
Pale and shiny? This bronzer and kabuki brush combo will sort you out in a flash. Swipe the brush across the bronzer and dust over your T-zone for a shine-free, natural-looking glow.
4. Mënaji Camo Concealer ($29) at Menaji.com
Banish those areas of discoloration (dark circles, acne scars and redness) with a few swipes of this undetectable concealer. You will marvel at how refreshed and young you look! The concealer is available in three shades.
This post originally appeared on RetailMeNot.com.
- My New Favorite CBD Products
- Fabulous Hair Care Products for Aging Hair
- How to Save on Self-Care and Wellness Services
- My New Favorite CBD Products
- 5 Essentials for a Successful Home Fitness Routine
- How to Save Money at Ulta and Sephora
- Why I Love My Age – and My Favorite Products for Middle-Aged Women
- The Best Affordable Sunscreens for All Ages
- This Go-To SPF Makeup Will Save Your Skin This Summer
- Budget-Friendly Makeup Bag Must-Haves
- How My Career in the Beauty Industry Made Me A Smart Shopper
- My 7 Favorite Minimalist Makeup Products