Stylish activewear can make you feel ready to crush any workout, but the price tag attached to flattering fitness apparel might make you want to throw in the towel. Not to worry! With a few smart shopping tips, you’ll be ready to take on your next routine in no time.
Timing is everything
Quality activewear can be expensive, but you’ll catch a big break if you shop at the right time. Look for sales at the end of each season (especially as spring becomes summer), over 3-day weekends, and in January, when the “new year new you” trend comes around. You’ll find these sales at brands, like Athleta and Lululemon as well as at sporting goods retailers, like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Academy Sports.
Join the club
One of the best ways to save on your favorite athletic brands is to join their membership clubs. Not only will you stay in the know on special offers, but you’ll also have access to benefits, like free shipping and exclusive discounts.
- Nike Members receive special offers, product promotions, birthday rewards, and free shipping. You’ll also be first to know of savings events and member-exclusive products.
- Nike members also have a chance to be selected for the Friends & Family Pass which gets randomly chosen shoppers 30 percent off purchases at Nike and Converse Factory and Clearance stores.
- Join the Adidas Creators Club for members-only product launches, discounts, free shipping, and more. Earn points for reviewing products, logging your daily workout, and participating in events. Get 15 percent off just for joining!
- Download the Adidas app for even more access to special offers and promotions. You can even sign up to be alerted when items you’re interested in go on sale.
- Are you more of a yoga person? Save up to 20 percent at Gaiam just for providing your email address. Join the Gaiam membership club to earn points on purchases and receive special offers. Earn more points for following the company on social media and leaving reviews. You’ll receive an additional 1500 points if you refer a friend.
- At the time of this writing, get 70% off everything for joining Fabletics as a VIP member as part of their Fall Favorites Sale. The subscription-based program guarantees 20-50 percent off everything, free shipping, and easy cancelation. Before joining a subscription-based club like this, think carefully about how often you need new workout gear. If you go through your gear quickly or you wear workout wear outside of working out, it could be a good choice.
- Join Athleta Rewards for free shipping on orders of $50 or more, early access to sales, a free trial subscription to the trendy fitness class subscription, Obé fitness, and more.
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent at Athleta. Your rewards also apply at Gap Inc.’s family of brands including Old Navy, another great store to shop for athletic wear. Get bonus points when you shop at multiple Gap Inc. locations!
Check out subscription boxes
I recently had the opportunity to try YogaClub, which, based on a style quiz, provides you with a box of chic and comfy fitness apparel valued at over $200 for $79 or less. You can select a subscription that works for you!
YogaClub isn’t the only subscription box. Others to check out are Ellie, Fabletics and Wantable.
Follow along on social
- If you’re not up for joining a membership program or signing up for newsletters, consider following your favorite brands on their social channels. You can avoid the commitment of membership while still staying up-to-date on the latest savings events.
Shop the outlets
- Outlets in general are a great way to buy discount clothes, but Nike outlets are some of the best for saving on athletic wear. Expect to save upwards of half off retail prices. Nike has both Factory stores and Clearance stores where you can hunt down the best possible deals. There are also Nike Clearance stores that sell out-of-season merch at a deep discount, but there are far fewer of them. Check here to see if you’re lucky enough to live close to one.
- Adidas outlet stores have deals on sneakers and active gear. The prices are far better than their standard retail prices.
- Shop the REI Outlet online for up to 30% off fitness clothing and gear. At the time of this writing, you can save 25% on a pair of Merrell Trail-Running Shoes for women.
- Be sure to explore the 60% Off page for the very best REI Outlet deals.
Check lower-priced brands
Even though they aren’t exclusively devoted to activewear, you can find very reasonable prices at apparel brands/retailers like Old Navy, Target, Kohls, Tj Maxx, and Amazon.
- Expect to pay around $25/item with Amazon’s activewear line, Core 10. This is a good line for basics like packs of athletic socks for $12 or sports bras for less than $20,
- Old Navy has sales almost constantly. At the time of this writing, get 30% off activewear at Old Navy using the code HURRY. Get leggings and tops for less than $10!
- Check out Target’s under $20 section of their website for amazing deals on quality activewear.
Leverage your online resources
- Be sure to check Coupon Cabin for discount codes and special offers for any retailer selling athletic wear. They test coupons regularly (and make that test date available), so you know what works. At the time of this writing, there are offers to save between 20-25 percent off Champion, Athleta, and Adidas.
- Check out the activewear discounts on SlickDeals.net. The site has 12mm deal seekers gathering and vetting deals. Their Front Page, which right now has deals from Adidas, Puma on eBay, and Costco, has the strongest deals so look there first.
Other ways to save with leading athletic retailers…
- Stack coupons while shopping at Nike. Use percentage off coupons alongside free shipping deals to increase your savings.
- Your Nike receipt might include the option to fill out a survey. If you see this, don’t pass up the chance to share your thoughts in return for a bonus gift, like $5 off your next purchase!
- Browse through the store’s Closeout section for the best in-store discounts, or head over Nike’s sale section on their website for as much as 40 percent off.
- Eligible high school, college, and university students in the US receive a 10 percent discount.
- All active, reservist, veteran, and retired US military personnel, and the spouses and dependents of active military receive a 10 percent discount.
- I’ve heard that Thursday morning is usually when Lululemon updates its sales, so be sure to check out the discounts around this time.
- The We Made Too Much sale is the best way to save at Lululemon. This is when the store marks down last season’s inventory by up to 50 percent.
- Once or twice a year, Lululemon also hosts a Warehouse Sale and features the lowest prices of the year. This often takes place around May, but be sure to follow along on social or check in with your local store.
- First responders, military members, and health care workers receive 25 percent off their purchase with the discount (in-store only).
- Certified fitness instructors can apply for a 15 percent through their Team Research and Development program. Other fitness apparel brands, including Athleta, Hylete and Handful offer similar programs.
- Adidas typically hosts a Fall Sale at the end of September, where you can save up to 50 percent off on fall apparel and items going out of season.
- If you’re shopping online, head over to the Adidas Promotions section to see the more current available savings.
- AAA members receive 10 percent off their entire purchase at Adidas outlets.
- Open an Athleta Rewards credit card to get 20 percent off your first purchase and 5 points for every dollar spent at any Gap family brand like Athleta, Banana Republic, or Old Navy. Note that I only recommend store cards if you are a frequent shopper and are in a position to pay the card off in full every month (the APR is high).
- Athleta is known for hosting regular sales events. At the time of this writing, you can save up to 60 percent on athletic wear. Don’t miss their Final Sale section for some of the very best deals.
- Athleta stores across the country host regular fitness workshops, shopping parties, and wellness events. Check to see if your local store has any upcoming events. Most include a special savings offer for attending.
- Are you a fitness professional? If so, you can qualify for 30 percent off regular-priced merchandise.
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. In addition to a handful of affiliate networks, TrueTrae.com/TraeBodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.