Whether you’re a diehard fan of Old Navy jeans, can’t do without your buttery soft Gap Body underthings, or Banana Republic is your go-to when you want an elevated look, you probably own something from this family of brands. You know there are frequent sales, but if you’ve ever wondered when those sales are and how you can save more money at Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, read on.
Savings tips for all 3 stores:
- Since Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic are all owned by the same parent company, you can use any of the store credit cards at the other stores as well. You’ll earn 5 points per dollar spent in-store – and enjoy perks like percentage-off savings and double points during promotional events.
- All three stores offer the option to buy online and ship to your nearest store – a great way to browse online at your leisure, score free shipping, and get in and out of the store quickly.
- Use a service like Paribus to get the best deal on your purchases after you’ve shopped. For 14 days after you buy something, Paribus will monitor the price of the item(s) you buy and refund you the difference you would have saved if that item goes on sale during that time. Best of all? It literally works on its own, so you don’t have to do a thing!
- A clever way to save, even on top of another sale, is to purchase a discounted gift card from a gift card marketplace like GiftCardGranny.com and then shop with it. At the time of this writing, Gap and Banana Republic gift cards are up to 8% off and Old Navy gift cards are 4% off.
- Super-charge your savings using a site like CouponCabin.com to look for coupons that can be combined with cashback offers. They also have a handy app for when you’re shopping in-store.
- Use a money-saving browser extension, like Slickdeals, Honey or Rakuten that automatically try and apply coupon codes at checkout for added savings.
- You can save a little more by taking advantage of offers from your credit card company or savings platform. For instance, Acorns, one of my favorite savings platforms, will invest 2% of your Gap, Old Navy, or Banana Republic purchase for you. Just click on the offer within Acorns.com and shop as you normally would.
- Want free shipping? You’ll get it automatically by spending $50+. One easy way to hit that $50 free-shipping threshold is to combine your orders for all three brands and checkout in one transaction.
- Sign up for the email list and instantly receive 20-25% off any online order and receive ongoing info about exclusive sales and offers.
- Signing up for text messages is another great way to receive regular discounts (each brand typically texts once weekly).
- These brands sometimes have free shipping promotions, which you can find in their promotional emails or by checking on a deal site, like Slickdeals.
- You can stack coupons, but make sure to use dollar-off and percent-off coupons together to guarantee they’ll work together. Using two of the same coupon type (two dollar-off or two percent-off coupons) usually doesn’t work.
- Store credit card users can score a quick $10-off reward just by signing up for a store’s email list and selecting paperless billing!
- Maximize your savings by shopping the clearance sections during special clearance sales. The most common discounts on sale items are 30% off, but keep your eye out for the 40-50% off sales too!
- Earn in-store cash at all three stores (Gap calls theirs GapCash, Old Navy’s is Super Cash, and Banana Republic Factory has Style Cash) during each store’s unique earning periods. Simply spend a certain amount to earn dollars off your purchase within a set window. Mark your calendars, though – these rewards do expire after that window has passed.
- GapCash – $25 for every $50 spent
- Old Navy Super Cash – $10 for every $25
- BR Factory Style Cash – $25 for every $50 (up to $75)
- Bright Rewards is a free rewards program that gives you two points for each dollar spent. Each time you reach 500 points ($250 spent), you’ll receive a $5-off reward that can be redeemed at any store in the Gap family of brands. Sign up for free here.
- The best time to buy seasonal apparel is towards the middle/end of that season:
- Spring: April 15 – June 1
- Summer: July 15 – September 1
- Fall: October 15 – December 1
- Winter: January 15 – March 1
How to Save Money at Gap
- Gap has sales every month:
- 50% off markdowns typically take place in January, March, June, and October.
- Storewide 40% off + an extra 10% off sales usually take place in February, May, July, and September and last 3-4 days.
- Their Friends and Family event, which offers 40% off everything, usually occurs in March and November.
- The week leading up to Black Friday – and on the big day – score 50% off everything in-store and online.
- GapFactory stores have their own designers who create pieces not sold in regular Gap stores – and for less money. Jeans are an especially good deal to snag while you’re there.
- If you see a better price online than in-store, or vice versa, Gap will match it. Just call Gap customer service at (800) 427-7895 to place your order.
- Gap regular prices end in “.95” while their sale prices will end in “.99”. Prices ending in “.97” are final markdown.
- Don’t buy anything that’s only been around for 3 weeks or less. New items usually aren’t marked down for at least 4 weeks.
How to Save Money at Old Navy
- New markdowns usually come out on Sundays and new sales start on Thursdays.
- Look for orange tags for clearance items, especially if they’re mixed in with other items rather than in the clearance section. And when you find a price tag ending in “.47”, you can be sure it’s the final sale price.
- With the bounty of online coupon codes, you’re more likely to get a good deal on OldNavy.com than in-store. And unlike Gap, Old Navy will not match prices if there are price discrepancies between online and in-store.
- Nearly everything will go on sale within 6 weeks of the stock date in stores – and often that sale is 40% off!
- Check for big one-day sales on weekends – you’ll be alerted to these in advance via text or email if you’ve signed up.
How to Save Money at Banana Republic
- Check the back of the store for items with the biggest discounts.
- Students and teachers get 15% off of any full-priced item. Take full advantage of this perk on items that rarely go on sale, like blazers, socks, and jewelry.
- Find Banana Republic Factory Outlets all across the US. Pro tip: Shop summer clothing in winter and winter clothing in summer. Other stellar finds include cotton tees and tanks, colorful scarves, and their beloved 99-cent tights.
- Look for Banana Republic Factory coupons in magazines and on their Facebook page.
- Opposite of Old Navy, Banana Republic’s best deals are found in-store, not necessarily online. You’ll frequently find 30% off deals in-store, and the bigger seasonal deals happen in-store as well.
- Lastly, if you see a style you just adore at Banana Republic but don’t care for the price tag, it’s worth checking out Gap and Old Navy for a similar look for less.
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. In addition to a handful of affiliate networks, TrueTrae.com/TraeBodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.