If you follow me regularly, you know I urge folks on a budget to make their own coffee to save money. But, I know that DIY coffee isn’t for everyone, so I wanted to share some tips for how to save at your favorite coffee chain, be it Starbucks or Dunkin’.
Related: How I Save Money
How to Save Money at Starbucks
Join the Starbucks Rewards program to earn free drinks, food, and upgrades, limited edition Starbucks merch, and free brewed coffee and tea refills anytime. Use the Starbucks app for the best experience.
Note: You used to be able to earn stars only if you reloaded the funds on your app, but now you can scan your app, pay with any method, and still earn stars!
Save with Gift Cards
Buy discounted Starbucks gift cards from a gift card site, like GiftCard Granny, and then use them at Starbucks. As an example, if you buy a card that is discounted 8%, you automatically save 8% when you use the card!
As a Starbucks Rewards member, you’ll receive a free drink or food item of your choice on your birthday. There’s no limit to the size of the drink, and anything goes – the only exclusions are loaves, sets of bars, and Starbucks Evening menu items. Sign up with the Rewards program at least 30 days before your birthday to qualify.
Get Secret Starbucks Sizes
We all know the three common drink sizes: Tall (12 oz.), Grande (16 oz.), and Venti (20 oz.). But there are two sizes at either end of the spectrum that aren’t advertised: Short (10 oz.) and Trenta (31 oz.). The Trenta size is only available for Teavana Shaken Iced Tea, Teavana Shaken Iced Tea Lemonade, Iced Coffee, Cold Brew, and Starbucks Refreshers.
You can save $0.10 if you bring a reusable cup from home. Not a huge discount, but it’s a nice perk if you’re trying to be eco-friendly! Plus, that small discount can really add up if you’re a daily Starbucks drinker: that’s $36.50 saved per year!
Starbucks has promotional offers/events like treat receipts, Happy Hour (usually between 3-5pm on weekdays), and holiday-specific promotions throughout the year. Be sure to follow Starbucks on Facebook and/or Twitter to get a heads up on these. If you frequent Target, check the Circle App for BOGO drink offer coupons redeemable at the in-store Starbucks.
If you’re a Rewards member, you can get a refill on brewed coffee (hot, iced, or cold brew) or tea (hot or iced). You need to remain in the store to get the refill, and you’ll want to keep your receipt handy. The coolest part is that you can order any drink the first time around (not just coffee and tea) and still get your free refill of coffee or tea.
Treat your pup with a free Puppuccino! It’s an espresso cup filled with whipped cream. Not a great idea to do on the regular, but it sure is a great treat on a special day!
Order a complimentary filtered ice water (in any size cup and with a lid!) instead of shelling out for pricey bottled water. All you have to do is ask.
If you’re a Verizon customer, download their app and take advantage of the free $3 Starbucks gift card each month via their VerizonUP rewards program.
Starbucks at Home
And if you’re open to DIY, but love Starbucks, buy their coffee beans at Starbucks, on Amazon, and at many grocery stores, and brew at home for a fraction of the price.
Hack Your Order
*These are confirmed by a former Starbucks barista!
- Make your own iced latte. Order a triple espresso over ice in a Venti cup and fill the rest up with milk at the condiment bar and save $1-2.
- Order one Venti Frappuccino to split instead of two Tall Frappuccinos. Just request two tall cups and split it yourself for a portion of the price.
- If you order a French press coffee (32 oz.) to split among a group, you’ll be paying about half-price compared to ordering individual cups.
- If you like leaving room for cream but don’t want to skimp on the amount of coffee in your cup, just request that the barista pour your order into a cup one size bigger.
- Order iced tea with no water. The iced tea in pitchers at Starbucks is double-strength, but it’s watered down when you order it. If you like strong tea (or want to make two drinks out of your tea), order it without water.
- Make your own Chai tea latte: Rather than ordering the sugary Chai tea latte from the menu, order hot water with a Tazo Chai tea bag. Steep the tea bag yourself and add milk and/or sugar from the condiment bar. If you want it “dirty,” order an espresso shot or two on the side and add it in.
- Order an iced coffee with a caramel drizzle and/or a few pumps of caramel syrup for what is essentially a half-priced Caramel Macchiato.
- Check out these 41(!) drinks on the Starbucks secret menu from Glamour.com!: https://www.glamour.com/story/best-drinks-from-the-starbucks-secret-menu
How to Save Money at Dunkin’
Sign up for the DD Perks rewards program
The DD Perks rewards program is a great way to rack up points, especially if you’re a frequent Dunkin’ customer. Get a free beverage for every 200 points you earn (earn 5 points for every $1 you spend), plus exclusive offers and bonus points all year.
DD Perks members get a birthday drink on the house!
Take the Survey
Score a free donut with the purchase of any medium or larger beverage just for taking a short survey at TellDunkin.com. You’ll find a survey code on your most recent receipt.
National Donut Day
June 1 is National Donut Day! Dunkin’ likes to get in on the action by offering a free donut with the purchase of any beverage.
National Hot Tea Month
Get a free cup of hot tea with any purchase during National Hot Tea Month.
From 2pm to 6pm, coffee is half-priced.
Get hot or iced coffee refills for just $0.99 if you bring your reusable cup or mug with you.
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. In addition to a handful of affiliate networks, TrueTrae.com/TraeBodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.