Whether you’re a diehard fan of Old Navy jeans, can’t do without your buttery soft Gap Body underthings, get moving in your Athleta gear, or hit up Banana Republic for and elevated work look, you probably own something from this family of brands. If you’ve ever wondered how you can save money at Gap, Old Navy, Athleta, and Banana Republic, read on.
Savings tips for all 4 stores:
- Since Gap, Old Navy, Athleta, and Banana Republic are all owned by the same parent company, you can use any of the store credit cards at all stores. You’ll earn 5 points per dollar spent in-store – and enjoy perks like percentage-off savings and double points during promotional events.
- Store credit card users can also score a quick $10-off reward just by signing up for a store’s email list and selecting paperless billing!
- All the stores offer the option to buy online and ship to your nearest store – a great way to browse online at your leisure, score free shipping, and get in and out of the store quickly.
- Super-charge your savings using a site like CouponCabin.com for coupons and cashback offers. CouponCabin also has a handy app for when you’re shopping in-store.
- Use a money-saving browser extension, like Slickdeals, PayPal Honey, or Rakuten that automatically try and apply coupon codes at checkout for added savings.
- You can save a little more by taking advantage of offers from your credit card company or savings platform. For instance, Acorns, one of my favorite savings platforms, will invest 1.5-2% of your Gap, Old Navy, Athleta, or Banana Republic purchase for you. Just click on the offer within Acorns.com and shop as you normally would.
- Want free shipping? You’ll get it automatically by spending $50+. One easy way to hit that $50 free-shipping threshold is to combine your orders for all three brands and check out in one transaction.
- Sign up for the email list and instantly receive 20-25% off any online order and receive ongoing info about exclusive sales and offers.
- Signing up for text messages is another great way to receive regular discounts (each brand typically texts once weekly).
- These brands sometimes have free shipping promotions, which you can find in their promotional emails or by checking on a deal site, like Slickdeals.
- You can stack coupons, but make sure to use dollar-off and percent-off coupons together to guarantee they’ll work together. Using two of the same coupon type (two dollar-off or two percent-off coupons) usually doesn’t work.
- Maximize your savings by shopping the clearance sections during special clearance sales. The most common discounts on sale items are 30% off, but keep your eye out for the 40-50% off sales too!
- Save the most on season-specific apparel by shopping near the end of that season:
- Spring: April 15 – June 1
- Summer: July 15 – September 1
- Fall: October 15 – December 1
- Winter: January 15 – March 1
- Buy used! I’ve found gently-used gems at big thrift stores, like Salvation Army and Goodwill. You can also search by brand on sites like ThredUp and Poshmark to score deals on secondhand finds from Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic (I would skip Athleta – I don’t recommend buying athletic apparel from secondhand retailers unless you happen to find something that is new with tags on. )
How to Save Money at Gap
- Join Gap’s free loyalty program, Good Rewards, to earn 1 point for every dollar spent. Rewards can be redeemed on Gap, Old Navy, Athleta, and Banana Republic purchases. Points expire if you don’t make a purchase within 12 months.
- If you are a Gap credit cardholder, you will earn 5 points on $1 spent at Gap and the sister stores. You can also earn 2 or 1 point per dollar spent on other purchases, depending on which Gap Visa card you have.
- If you see a better price online than in-store, or vice versa, Gap will match it if you place your order by calling Gap customer service at (800) 427-7895.
- Gap has sales every month:
- 50% off markdowns typically take place in January, March, June, and October.
- Storewide 40% off + an extra 10% off sales usually take place in February, May, July, and September and last 3-4 days.
- Their Friends and Family event, which offers 40% off everything, usually occurs in March and November.
- The week leading up to Black Friday – and on the big day – score 50% off everything in-store and online.
- GapFactory stores have their own designers who create pieces not sold in regular Gap stores – and for less money. Jeans are an especially good deal to snag while you’re there.
- Gap regular prices end in “.95” while their sale prices will end in “.99”. Prices ending in “.97” are final markdown.
- Don’t buy anything that’s only been around for 3 weeks or less. New items usually aren’t marked down for at least 4 weeks.
How to Save Money at Old Navy
- Join Old Navy’s free loyalty program, Navyist, to earn a point for every dollar spent at Old Navy and the family of brands.
- Like with Gap’s Good Rewards, you’ll earn 5 points for every dollar when you use an Old Navy Credit card. You’ll save 30% off your first order when you sign up for the credit card, and get more perks the more you spend – like expedited shipping and exclusive discounts – but note that I don’t recommend store cards until you can pay them off in full each month. The APR’s are too high, otherwise.
- New markdowns usually come out on Sundays and new sales start on Thursdays.
- Look for orange tags for clearance items, especially if they’re mixed in with other items rather than in the clearance section. And when you find a price tag ending in “.47”, you can be sure it’s the final sale price.
- With the bounty of online coupon codes, you’re more likely to get a good deal on OldNavy.com than in-store. And unlike Gap, Old Navy will not match prices if there are price discrepancies between online and in-store.
- Nearly everything will go on sale within 6 weeks of the stock date in stores – and often that sale is 40% off!
- Check for big one-day sales on weekends – you’ll be alerted to these in advance via text or email if you’ve signed up.
How to Save Money at Banana Republic
- Join Banana Republic Rewards program to earn points (or earn points via your Gap or Old Navy rewards programs).
- Earn 5x points on your purchases using the Banana Republic credit card. There’s also a 25% off bonus for signing up,
- Check the back of the store for items with the biggest discounts.
- Students and teachers get 15% off of any full-priced item. Take full advantage of this perk on items that rarely go on sale, like blazers, socks, and jewelry.
- Find Banana Republic Factory Outlets all across the US. Pro tip: Shop summer clothing in winter and winter clothing in summer. Other stellar finds include cotton tees and tanks, colorful scarves, and their beloved 99-cent tights.
- Look for Banana Republic Factory coupons in magazines and on their Facebook page.
- Opposite of Old Navy, Banana Republic’s best deals are found in-store, not necessarily online. You’ll frequently find 30% off deals in-store, and the bigger seasonal deals happen in-store as well.
- Lastly, if you see a style you just adore at Banana Republic but don’t care for the price tag, it’s worth checking out Gap and Old Navy for a similar look for less.
How to Save Money at Athleta
- To save at this size-inclusive B-corp, join the loyalty program (or just use Gap’s, Old Navy’s, or Banana Republic’s).
- Save 20% when you sign up for their credit card.
- Check out Athleta’s Final Sale sections, where you can save up to 85 percent off everything from jackets to yoga pants.
- Save a ton at their Semi-annual Sale event, which tends to occur in July and December.
- Another good sale time is in January when fitness brands tend to offer “New Year, New You” sales.
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. In addition to a handful of affiliate networks, TrueTrae.com/TraeBodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.