Meet Elizabeth Koraca
Elizabeth is an executive coach & career strategist and former Reuters TV anchor who helps business executives, journalists, entrepreneurs, and other professionals improve their presentation and communication skills so they can wield more influence and attain their professional goals. She helps her clients, who include executives at Google, Square, Morgan Stanley, Thomson Reuters, and Pfizer, deliver more effective presentations, cultivate stronger professional bonds, and speak confidently. Elizabeth is also an on-air expert and has been featured on CNN, FOX News, Cheddar TV, iHeart Radio, and many other publications.
I picked Elizabeth’s brain about New Year’s resolutions; from how to choose one, to the best ways to really make a commitment.
New Year’s Resolutions 101
What do you say to people who don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions?
Often the people who don’t believe in them have not been able to make New Year’s resolutions stick in the past. We all have good intentions when it comes to New Year’s resolutions, but we fail because we don’t have a proper plan in place. Having a timeline is key for success.
Why do you feel they are important?
A New Year’s resolution is a goal and goals are very important because they help us achieve what we need to succeed. So think of your New Year’s resolution as a goal or a new skillset you are learning instead of a resolution.
Are there certain tactics that can help make New Year’s resolutions last?
- Know your purpose or your why. Ask yourself “what happens if I don’t make this change.” You’ll have better success in achieving your resolutions if you identify authentic goals that are integrated with one another and serve a broader purpose.
- Keep it simple. Only choose one or a few resolutions. Write them down. Studies show when goals are written down and visible, you have a greater chance of achieving them.
- Be specific with your New Year’s resolutions. Clear, well-defined goals and intentions provide you with direction to get to where you want to go.
- Create an action plan for each resolution. Set checkpoints throughout the year to measure your progress and schedule time in your calendar to work on your goals.
In your opinion, what are the best kinds of New Year’s resolutions?
It all depends on the change you want to make. What are you most excited and passionate about? Tap into the change you want to make.
For example: losing weight and getting in shape always tops the list. So instead of saying I am going to lose weight – GET SPECIFIC – you need to say something like – I am going to lose 10 pounds by Feb. 14 by going to the gym 3 times a week, joining weight watchers, and going on this journey with a friend so we can support each other and keep each other accountable. I am now going to schedule it in the calendar so it gets done. Get clear on WHY you want to lose weight, it will help drive you forward.
Or perhaps you are looking to save money for the future. You want to identify your financial goals, create a plan, know your why, and talk to a financial planner. Many banks offer financial planning as a free service and the expertise can be helpful in realizing your financial goals.
Is there a New Year’s Resolution of your own that you are the most excited about?
Yes, I’m excited about my New Year’s resolution. The skill I want to learn in 2021 is email management. I am the person that has too many emails in my inbox. I am trying the Stack Method of email management to shrink my inbox and make it more manageable.
Any final words of wisdom you’d like to share? We need all the help we can get!
Learn a new skill instead of just fixing an old problem. If you’re discouraged by a recurring problem that shows up in your New Year’s resolutions each year, think about how it can be solved by learning a new skill or taking a new approach. Set yourself up for success by following through on your New Year’s resolutions and make them stick for 2021!
Make sure you follow Elizabeth on social media so you don’t miss a thing:
LinkedIn: Elizabeth Koraca
- My New Favorite CBD Products
- Fabulous Hair Care Products for Aging Hair
- How to Save on Self-Care and Wellness Services
- My New Favorite CBD Products
- 5 Essentials for a Successful Home Fitness Routine
- Why I Love My Age – and My Favorite Products for Middle-Aged Women
- The Best Affordable Sunscreens for All Ages
- Budget-Friendly Makeup Bag Must-Haves
- How My Career in the Beauty Industry Made Me A Smart Shopper
- 15 Reasons I’m Happy I’m 50+
- 15 Game-Changing Beauty Products
- What is CC Cream?