Beauty Secrets: Gina Way
This week’s muse is veteran beauty writer and editor Gina Way. I met Gina six years ago when I was a judge for Redbook’s annual MVP Awards. I’ve been a judge every year since and through that amazing experience, Gina and I have become friends. She is one of my favorite beauty babes!
Gina writes for magazines like Marie Claire, Redbook, Dr. Oz The Good Life, Cosmopolitan and Martha Stewart Living, as well as websites like Refinery29. Check out her recent post on about this year’s biggest beauty innovations here: http://www.refinery29.com/2016/10/127851/beauty-gadgets-technology-innovations. Over the last 15 years, Gina has interviewed just about every major hairstylist, colorist, makeup artist, and dermatologist in the business, not to mention celebs like Tamron Hall, Brooke Shields, rock star St. Vincent, and supermodels Cindy Crawford and Veronica Webb. Trust me, she’s picked up a lot of amazing beauty tricks along the way!
Here are Gina’s beauty secrets:
A makeup artist told me this secret: after doing your makeup, rinse your hands in ice-cold water, dry them off, and place your damp palms on your face. Your complexion will look instantly fresh and not powder-y.
- “My #1 desert-island item is Smith’s Rosebud Salve. I keep one in my purse, one in my bathroom, and a tin on my bedside table. It’s my lip balm, cuticle and dry skin softener, and I tap a tiny bit on my cheekbones and eyelids as a finishing touch after makeup to add a glow-y sheen. And I swipe a little on my lashes instead of mascara to make them glossy.
2. I’m a skincare junkie, so I’m fortunate to get a lot of beauty products to try, but the true game-changers I can’t live without are: Dr. Macrene Alexiades’ 37 Extreme Actives High Performance Anty-Aging Cream, which is packed with rich moisturizers and anti-agers like peptides and the antioxidant resveratrol. I also swear by classics like Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Frangrance-Free—also loaded with peptides to boost collagen, and when my skin is super dry I slather on Kiehl’s Panthenol Protein Moisturizing Face Cream like cake frosting. I’m also obsessed with Phace Bioactive, especially the Soothing Day Cream + Primer SPF 46 and Illuminating Serum with vitamin C.
3. I have a huge box of pretty lipsticks, but I only ever wear one color: RMS Beauty Lip Shine in Sacred, the perfect sheer cherry red. It’s ultra-moisturizing and brightens my whole face when I put it on.
4. After the age of 40, a brilliant dermatologist is key to looking youthful—and not in a scary, Real Housewives way! I swear, a little filler and Botox makes an enormous difference, but you have to go to the right person. Thank goodness I wrote a skincare book (Simple Skin Beauty) with Dr. Ellen Marmur because I couldn’t live without her!
5. I’m so lucky to have Rita Hazan as a good pal and my hair colorist (after all, she does Madonna and Beyonce!). My emergency must-have is her Root Concealer in Light Brown, a totally natural-looking spray that hides grays when I’m in need of a touch-up.”